A massive police drug sweep Thursday resulted in more than 100 criminal charges against 28 people.
The five-month investigation by members of the Chatham-Kent Police Service Intelligence Section targeted individuals involved in trafficking. Seven search warrants were executed throughout the municipality under the Control Drugs and Substances Act
Officers seized: 52.2 grams of methamphetamine, 530 mg. of Fentanyl, 35.75 g. of cocaine, 30 g. of cannabis, three cannabis plants, 1 g. of psilocybin. The street value of drugs seized is estimated at $17,160. Officers also seized $6,970 in cash.
Charges laid as a result of the project:
• 30 charges of drug trafficking contrary to section 5(1) CDSA;
• 21 charges of possessing a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking contrary to section 5(2) CDSA;
• 20 charges of possessing a controlled substance contrary to section 4(1) CDSA;
• 19 charges of possessing proceeds of crime contrary to section 354(1)(a) CCC;
• one charge of cultivating marijuana 7(1) CDSA;
• eight charges of breaching a recognizance and/or undertaking contrary to section 145(3) CCC;
• three charges of possessing a prohibited weapon 91(2) CCC;
• two charges of possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose 88(1) CCC; and
• one charge of obstructing police 129(a) CCC.