By Pam Wright
Local Journalism Initiative Reporter
Another emergency situation involving the discovery of hydrogen sulphide has arisen in Wheatley.
Parts of the downtown area were evacuated Monday morning after the toxic gas was detected at 15 Erie St N, formerly known as The Pogue.
The detector was activated just after 8 a.m.
Firefighters from Wheatley’s Station 20 and Station 19 in Tilbury are on scene, along with Chatham-Kent police, Chatham-Kent EMS, Enbridge Gas and Entegrus.
The Windsor Hazmat team is expected to be arriving at the location today.
Chatham-Kent fire officials report that Erie Street North between Talbot Street and Elm Street, as well as Talbot East between Erie Street to Little Street, have been closed off.
Homes and businesses in the area have been evacuated as a precaution.
Assistance has also been requested from the Provincial Emergency Operation Centre to garner support from provincial partners.
The latest detection comes on the heels of leak that caused a state of emergency to be declared in Wheatley in early June.
Police and fire crews remained on scene 24-7 until the order was lifted June 19.
The source of the first leak of the flammable gas that smells like rotten eggs was never determined. However, surveillance was suspended when monitors could no longer detect the substance.
Today marks the second time gas has been discovered at the former site of The Pogue.