Subdivision could soon expand

0
899
(Image courtesy Google Maps)

By Pam Wright
Local Journalism Initiative Reporter

An area in south Chatham bordering the Lynwood Estates subdivision is set to grow by some 61 homes.

Brought before a Chatham-Kent council Nov. 15 as part of a rezoning application to change the setback of the proposed single detached houses from 11 to eight metres, the matter drew more than 30 deputations, mostly speaking out against the expansion.

Many of the detractors said the new homes will take away from the country feel of the 140 existing homes and impact safety by creating traffic congestion.

According to Chatham-Kent’s top planning official, no construction will proceed until an environmental assessment regarding the extension of storm and sanitary sewers to the new development is complete.

Ryan Jacques, director of planning services for the municipality, said the environmental assessment should be finished in early 2022.

The subject lands, commonly referred to as South Lynwood Estates, encompass 8.76 hectares (21.64 acres) of vacant farmland.

New construction will also see new municipal street connections to Cameron Avenue and Fairview Line.

The plan by a numbered Ontario company to build the new subdivision was approved in 2008 by the Ontario Municipal Board but no action to further develop it has been taken since that time.

The original subdivision proposal was turned down by the council of the day in 2007.

A public meeting on the matter is scheduled for Feb. 14, 2022 and all neighbouring households will be notified.

The property, registered to a second numbered company, changed hands earlier this year.

An existing agreement with the developer and the municipality indicates the developer will cover the cost of installing sewers and that existing homeowners will not be forced to tie into the new infrastructure.

Comments

comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here