The Chatham Pool Sharks recently celebrated the end of their competitive season, honouring some of their athletes.
Each year two major awards are given to the top senior and junior swimmers of the year. This year’s recipients are as follows:
- Robert Inns Senior Swimmers of the Year – Madison Broad & Nicole DePooter
- Bell Canada Junior Swimmer of the Year – David Tran & Genevieve Sasseville
In addition, awards go to the most dedicated and most improved swimmers in every level. These swimmers were recognized for the following achievements:
- Most Improved Swimmer – Intro to Competitive – Ariel Cockburn
- Most Dedicated Swimmer – Intro to Competitive – Liam Cook
- Most Improved Swimmer – Junior Competitive – Megan Basso
- Most Dedicated Swimmer – Junior Competitive – Ethan Vinagre
- Most Improved Swimmer – Intermediate Competitive – Ella Dam
- Most Dedicated Swimmer – Intermediate Competitive – Alyssa Michaud
- Most Improved Swimmer – Regional Bound – Jack Gillis
- Most Dedicated Swimmer – Regional Bound – Morgan Davis
- Most Improved Swimmer – Provincial Bound – Samantha Dupcik
- Most Dedicated Swimmer – Provincial Bound – Alexa Arbour
- Most Improved Swimmer – National Bound – Sophia Tran
- Most Dedicated Swimmer – National Bound – Nicole DePooter
Another highlight this year was the breaking of several long-standing Pool Sharks records. The Pool Sharks have been maintaining records of the fastest swimmers for more than 40 years. This year saw several of our current swimmers capture top five spots in the record books. The following swimmers set new records in the following:
Genevieve Sasseville (women’s 10 and under) – Short course: 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 200 freestyle, 400 freestyle, 50 fly, 100 fly, 200 fly, 200 IM.
Maddison Broad (women’s 13/14) – Short course: 50 freestyle, 400 freestyle, 800 freestyle, 200 IM, 400 IM. Long Course: 50 freestyle, 400 freestyle, 800 freestyle, 100 fly, 400 IM.
The Chatham Pool Sharks is a Division 2 Club and currently has nationally ranked swimmers on the team, as well as many provincial and regional-level qualifiers. This is in addition to the developmental programs offered for younger swimmers. For more information about the Chatham Pool Sharks visit www.chathamypoolsharks.com.