Chatham-Kent OPP had to call in the dog and a tactical unit to track down the driver of a car they found on its roof on Highway 401 early Sunday morning.
Police say they received the call about 4:42 a.m. of a single-vehicle crash on the 401 near Orford Road.
Officers found the vehicle on its roof in the north ditch, police say, but the driver had fled the scene on foot.
The West Region canine unit and Emergency Response Team were called in to help track down the driver, and he was found a short distance away.
Police say he looked to be impaired.
Brian Nicolas, 29, of Southwold Township is charged with:
- Operation while impaired – alcohol and drugs, contrary to section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Operation while impaired – blood alcohol concentration (80 plus), contrary to section 320.14(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Dangerous Operation, contrary to section 320.13(1) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Failure to stop after accident, contrary to section 320.16(1) of the Criminal Code (CC); and
- Obstruct Peace Officer, contrary to section 129(a) of the Criminal Code (CC).